Munnar is the best place for nature lovers from tea plantation to national park to pristine lakes.
It is a hub for tourists and hence its good to know few tips about the places in advance.
Recommended top places to visit in Munnar:
1.Kolukkumalai Tea Estate : This tea estate is famous for Sunrise point and it will take around 45min to reach at the top. Jeep ride is very bumpy. As you keep climbing up the hill the view gets more prettier.There will be a tea factory visit on the way. Once you reach the destination there is small walk to reach at the peak.
Places to be visited in Kolukkumalai Jeep Safari:
Highest Tea Garden
Kerela TamilNadu View Point
- Jeep Safari cost : 2500 INR (max 6 people), pickup and drop from homestay included
- Tea Factory Visit : 100 INR per person
- Kerala Tamil Nadu transfer fee : 100-200 INR (approx)for Jeep transfer
2. Eravikulam National Park : Eravikulam National park is 97km2 national park and is home for Nilgiri Tahr which is an
endangered species.This was the first destination of our “Day 2” sightseeing tour. I also recommend to visit this place first because the bus drops at a certain place and you have to walk up the hill.
Our cab driver suggested to buy the reservation ticket from informative center Munnar, so that we do not have to stand in long queue at the national park to get the tickets. We collected the reservation ticket and went straight to national park which is 13km from Munnar city.
Collected the ticket which had no queue and got it without waiting. There is a separate national park bus which takes to the top of the hill. The bus keeps coming and going in every 10minutes and once you have explored the national park you can get return bus from the same point.
- Reservation fee : 50 INR per person (Counter At Informative Centre, Munnar – 9am-3pm)
- Indian – 120 RS per person Children – 90 INR
- Foreign Nationals – 400 INR
- Ordinary Camera 40 INR ,Video Camera – 350 INR
- Cab Parking fee – 50 INR
3. Flower Garden : This is a must visit beautiful garden which has various species of flowers and plants and is a treat to eyes. It has colorful and various variety of flora.
Entry Fee : 30 INR per person
4. Elephant Safari : This is very adventurous safari. There is a place where you can go for the elephant ride. It is a 30-45min of ride on old giant elephants who are very friendly.
Elephant Safari : 500-800 INR per person
5. Madupetty Dam : This dam is located in the middle of the hills in Munnar which is used to produce hydroelectricity. We had our late lunch at this place. It has food court inside the lake garden of the dam.
- Entry fee : 30-40 INR per person
- Cab parking fee : 50-70 INR
6. Echo Point : It is a scenic destination, it has a beautiful lake and got its name because of the natural echo phenomenon. There is a very good market in the entrance of echo point lake where you can buy homemade chocolates, souvenir, organic face masks etc.
Tip : You can bargain a lot. They will say every product super pricey but you can always negotiate.
Entrance fees to go near the lake and boating area : 20 INR per person
Sightseeing tour Cab costs 1500-2000 INR per day which can accommodate 4-5persons. It can be booked by your hotel itself.
- Before booking the accommodation check the distance from Munnar city and nearby restaurants.
- Do witness the cultural Kalaripayattu and Kathakali Traditional dance show.
- Sometimes few routes are blocked during day time due to construction check with your hotel manager and plan your sight seeing tour accordingly.
- If you are doing a road trip you can find good and cheap home-made chocolates and souvenir options at road side.
- For snacking definitely try pineapple, corn and fruits which is available at every sight seeing place.
- Prefer to start your tour as early as possible in the morning because the day light ends before 6pm and most of the places are closed by 9pm.
- You can find enormous natural water falls, do stop by for perfect captures.